AN ONLINE JOURNAL_
by Clake and Klake

FRIENDS: Aeryk and K, Berta, Bill, Bret and Claudia, Celeb Reporter, CleverDad, Cobalt Kitchen, Jeremiah, Jess, Joe, JKSquared, Karl, Kristine/Jay, Luke, Malt Madness, Mo' Complaints, Rachel, Surf Report, UFO Clearinghouse
MORE: Randy the Cat , Links (del.icio.us), Clake's Recent Books (del.icio.us)


Wednesday, March 25, 2009


posted by klake at 9:21 PM


When boys hit puberty they have physiological changes to the larynx that cause deepening of the voice. The larynx gets bigger, stronger and longer, and until the brain accommodates for the physical changes the voice can crack and make unpredictable sounds.

While listening to a BBC radio show today I learned that female voices change also. The larynx enlarges, and until the brain compensates by accommodating the change with different epiglottis movements the voice sounds “breathy”. That is why some females in their teens and early twenties have a sexy, breathy sort of voice.

When I was in school I didn’t speak in class much because I was shy. When I did contribute in class discussions I was very nervous. One day in English class the teacher asked a question and no one would answer. I planned exactly what I would say, put up my hand, and answered the question. Immediately after I spoke the teacher talked about a girl she knew who had a high, breathy voice and no one took her seriously until she started talking like a normal person. I could have died. In front of all of my classmates she told me that I sounded ridiculous. It wasn’t until my junior year of college before I was able to raise my hand and speak in class without breaking into a sweat. For a decade now I have thought that I sounded stupid when I spoke. But now I know that it wasn’t my fault, it was my epiglottis adjusting to changes in my larynx. So there you go, Miss D. Not my fault.

Comments:
What a horrible experience. I never thought your voice was high-pitched or breathy, but maybe that's because mine was too!
# posted by Blogger Unknown : 9:24 AM  
In the time that I have known you, which admittedly started at undergrad orientation, so summer after senior year, I have never thought that your voice was breathy or particularly high-pitched, and I am very sensitive to such things, generally.
I hope that all is well in your direction. Perhaps some day this summer I could visit you guys and we could hang out, I could meet Peter now that he is surely becoming a person. :) And I miss the Penn-ster.
# posted by Blogger Unknown : 2:26 PM  
Post a Comment
[MAIN PAGE]

[SITE FEED]

PREVIOUS POSTS:
English Candy Review: Nestlé Lion Bar
English Candy Review: Mars Delight
From the Nile River Delta to the Sceptered Isle
Cultural Diversity Day
The New Guy
Happy Holidays!
Reprinted Without Permission
Driving Age
Zing!
Mystery Internet Science Lab 4000


ARCHIVES:
April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 August 2009 March 2010 July 2010 August 2010 January 2011 September 2011 January 2012 February 2012